Monday 20 April 2009

Another Spartan FWC Company in Progress

We took a few days out last week, in no small part due to my discovering a potent wine called Elephants Trail. In addition, a business related trip to Edinburgh allowed Heather to pass the doors of Valvona & Crolla “Edinburgh’s undisputed food heaven”, on her eway home and return laden with mucho fine Italian goodies. So we decided to pull up the drawbridge, drop the portcullis and have some quality 'us' time.

Refreshed, renewed and with a gloriously sunny morning heralding the potential for the first BBQ of the season, the omens seemed to be in favour of it being a good day for painting miniatures. Now, I'm not one to thumb my nose at the gods )often), so I began another FWC 'Company' of Blue Spartans using GZG's 15mm New Israelis. I deliberately focussed on a known quick win to jump start my motivation this week and get some real momentum back under way!


I find mounting them on old CD's gives me a lot of control
whilst also reminding me that I am painting
units rather than individuals.


I thoroughly recommend you read this excellent piece on painting Motivation and Momentum on The Painting Corps blog. Just don't read it whilst drinking a glass or two of Elephants Trail! As you will find all motivation, as well as all sense of feeling, slipping away......

On the subject of motivation and momentum, another thing I happened upon in mounting my figures on CDs, is that each one holds enough figures for 1 FWC platoon (or FAD/AA:FoF squad). If the idea of painting boltgun metal on the weapons of 30 guys in one sitting seems a chore, I know that if I get the weapons, visors and gauntlets completed on these 8-9 figs tonight, and maybe even base them as well, then at least I've finished a platoon. If I can't be arsed to complete more minis tonight or simply run out of time, then I'll do the second platoon tomorrow, but if something crops up so I can't paint, at least I've accomplished something and finished a whole platoon ready for gaming.

Notice that I am using a subtle psychology on myself by talking in terms of 'platoons' rather than no.s of bases or miniatures. By thinking in terms of platoons, completing a 'platoon' convinces me that I've accomplished more than implied by 3 or 4 'bases' of miniatures. Also, looking at the task remaining ahead, I now ONLY have two more 'platoons' to finish, which feels less of a chore than thinking of 9 -12 'bases'.

Cheers
Mark

4 comments:

  1. Like your thinking on how to keep motivated ! LOL

    As an aside, what range of paints do you use with your figures and vehicles ?

    Cheers

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old CDs! Absolutely brilliant! I can't wait to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ian

    I mainly use GW/Citadel Paints these days if for no other reason that the GW store in Aberdeen is a hundred yards from the office.

    Once I have money again at the end of the month, I'm going to try Vallejo/Battlefront paints which I'll buy from Maelstrom Games(10% off), together with some FOW Soviets, as I really like Evans' new sculpts.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I never thought of that, I have been using Tongue depressors, I think I am gonna give a CD a whirl it looks like it might just be a better process....

    ReplyDelete