Tuesday 6 April 2010

Its a Jungle Out There......

.
Tidied up my workbench over the weekend. A remarkably cathartic experience, clearing away the shrapnel of a dozen projects waiting to be finished which prompted me do the same when I got into the office on Monday.

"You lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"

Back at home, the clear working area has tripled my output even if not quite the direction I had planned. Since the weekend I've been working on new jungle undergrowth scatter terrain, a dried river bed utilising river sections from Amera Plastic Mouldings and a heap of post apocalypse wasteland stuff.

I'm happily chugging along thinking I'm the terrain king when Heather says...."You know, your jungle isn't really spikey enough. You've got to have a spikey jungle if you are doing Predator!"

Damn she's right! So I set about rebasing 30 palm trees with added sections of plastic aquarium grass matting I'd been saving to use as Kunai grass (see photo above). Further green lichen and plastic plant 'undergrowth' will be added once I've textured and painted the bases.

Of course now, I've run out of space again and there's wasteland terrain on the window sill, rocky river bed sections drying on old newspapers on the floor, old jungle on the carpet and new jungle on the workbench.

Meanwhile, a GZG 'FanVan' Utility VTOL sits accusingly on the drawer unit. This is a lovely model and I'm aching to finish it, but this week, doing the terrain has been 'chicken soup for the soul'.

Cheers
Mark
.

9 comments:

  1. Awesome looking terrain there. Can't wait to see Dutch and the Preds bouncing around in it!

    "Over heeeeere" What are you waiting for!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What palm trees did you use Mark ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Eli!

    Piotr, the trees quite cheaply from a Chinese Ebay store. They are very nice models - recommend them!

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. That happens to me too. When I clean my painting table there's a rush of productivity. Often *not* on the projects I was planning on doing next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark, are the tree's scratch built?

    Looks really good BTW.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi chris

    Thanks, the trees are from a Chinese Ebay shop:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TDY13-20pcs-Layout-Model-Train-Palm-Trees-Scale-HO-13CM_W0QQitemZ160421954050QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK
    _Trains_Railway_Models?hash=item2559e4c202

    Copy the above link without any spaces.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did you stick the foliage to the bases? I've tried PVA and hot glue without much luck.

    Great site, BTW.

    Barks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Barks

    Thanks. Hobbycraft Hot Melt Glue Sticks!

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete