Saturday 5 March 2011

INCOMING....... Wartime Miniatures 20mm Modern Russians

.
I ordered a platoon worth of Wartime Miniatures' new 20mm ultra-modern Russians this morning. I was going for two platoons but thought, no, still three weeks of the month to go.

Wartime Miniatures: MR04
20mm Russian Suppoort Weapons pack

I like the natural 'in the combat zone' poses, the mix of headdress, such as 'Ranger' caps and bandanas, which were very evident in Russian/CIS forces during recent conflicts. It also makes some of the figures suitable to be mixed in with post apocalypse survivors or financial meltdown American Militias to break up the hackneyed 'not another M16' look.

These particular miniatures also appealed to me because they had a passing resemblence to the mercenary illustration in the classic Traveller Book 4: Mercenary. So may well end up proxying for 20mm Mid-Tech mercenaries as well. 

Cheers
Mark

Update: Consequently, I've been making some suitable buildings today based on those appearing in  Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. I'm using textured building material sheets from Wills Kits. The textured dressed stone is very good but I feel my old technique for using thin cardboard to create wood planking is superior as there's more definition, even if a bit rougher in appearance than the moulded plastic .
,

7 comments:

  1. 20mm moderns on a 15mm sci-fi blog? I think something went wrong here.... Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all and let's be clear, it's my blog - if I want to occasionally talk about 20mm Moderns or Spaghetti Sauce, I will.

    If anyone wishes to pay me a salary or see this become a .com or force advertsising on you, then you can dictate content.

    Having said that, as explained in a previous post, I am expanding to 20mm Near Future and Sci Fi. Like many gamers I can't always afford to or wish to duplicate in 15 and 20mm.

    I love Neo-Soviets and there's a great mini-campaign in the making in Tomorrows War set on a soviet style world. Rolf Hedges has some great Neo-Soviet troops in 20mm and I want to mix and match equally good 20mm 'Ultra-Moderns' with them so that I can play Bleeding Edge Near Future and Low/Mid-tech 'lived in future' Sci Fi games.

    So I get the figures I want, of the quality I want to play games in the background I want to play.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes perfect sense to me mark, a bit of a Russophile my self, cant wait to see them painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh...Sorry, I missed that comment on the expansion plan.

    That said, I'm used to you sticking to 15mm sci-fi, so it'll take some getting used to. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Commissar,

    You'll see then on the Crisis in Alcovia blog when done, but I'm likely to start with Under Fire Miniatures Russian OMON troopers as they can take on some para-military rebels in balaclavas and AK47s I painted up for Winter of '79.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you get these in the UK?

    ReplyDelete