Monday 29 April 2013

Mad Mecha Guy's Single-Storey Shop (with Green Roof)

By Chris

The Future Urban Development Projct is well underway. Here is the first of my Mad Mecha Guy Shops with Green Roofs:


I didn't use too many fancy tricks or techniques on this. The shop and roof were both sprayed with white primer and painted with Model Master Camouflage Gray. Then I picked out the door and window frames with P3 Meridus Blue, painted the interior floor with Vallejo Heavy Bluegray, and the roof with Vallejo Heavy Brown. Then I flocked the roof with Woodland Scenics turf and sealed it with white glue.


I avoided gluing the roof in place .Even though it's a small building, there is room inside for 15mm figures if the game/scenario requires it. I also wanted the windows to have some kind of glass panes. My first thought was to use a scrap of blister packaging, but it was too transparent. Rummaging around the basement, I found an old CD-ROM in a textured vinyl sleeve. I cut it to fit the insides... simple, but effective.


Now I just need to decide what this building is... my initial thought was that it would be one of the few standalone homes in my city - most residents will live in apartments, represented by Mad Mecha Guy's multi-storey condos. But now I'm thinking this will be a small business of some kind (my wife suggested "pet store"), so I'll add a few exterior signs to the building. I also need to decide how much of this paint scheme will be kept in my other buildings... I do like the pale gray color for an urban setting. Here's a shot of the building with a few of my favorite civilians and vehicles:


That's one building down, eight to go from my first order (not counting the garages). The green roofs will really stand out on an all-concrete game table. And I think they will also work on a desert table... just a little oasis of green among the endless sand dunes. 

10 comments:

  1. That really has turned out a treat, the clear plastic sleeve windows just adds extra depth to the building as does the green roof. So this one is going to be a pet shop dealing in rare, exotic and alien breeds, hmmmm i can feel a 'escape from its cage' scenario coming on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done. How much is that Vegan Blood Worm in the window?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you and Zac, I'm actually going to have to turn it into a pet store now.

      "Escaped critter" scenarios might be fun to game. There are plenty of good creatures in the SHM range, and I could always grab a pack of Munchers from Khurasan.

      Delete
  3. I will have to get some of these buildings.

    Historical note: There used to be a textile Factory in Leeds (England) which had a grass roof with sheep on the top. You could see it as you travelled by train to the city.

    I am not suggesting you put sheep on the roof of this one, (a little small). But as green issues are very current in the world it's nice to see gamers thinking about them as well. Ok too small for sheep but maybe not for Hydroponics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, that would be fun to see.

      I've seen a few around the States. They don't generally grow any specific plants - just an inexpensive (and sustainable) method of insulating a building.

      Delete
  4. I suspect people will want green roofs for the bigger structures or pitched green roofs.

    Could always do a fence for the green roof, somewhere to keep the meta-rabbits.
    With the modern culture think the flock sheep on a roof would be baaahed these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, very punny...

      I may request a green roof version of the condos or dorm building in my next order. This one turned out really well.

      Delete
  5. Nice little building and I like the modern astro-turf roof. Looks sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This might make a nice diner. The windows grabbed my attention right-away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was planning on giving mine a white colour scheme with coloured accents. Wasn't entirely sure how to do it but I think you've given the answer right there!

    ReplyDelete